October 31, 2007

Hawaii


I can't believe that I'm going to be in Hawaii this Saturday! It's a place that permeated my consciousness for as long as I can remember, and yet, I had no strong desire to go there. But, now that I am going, I can hardly wait!

When I say permeated my consciousness, I mean...when I was in kindergarten, I was doing the hula in the very first play I was in. I remember liking the bandeau bikini and raffia-string skirt I got to wear. I missed out on being the princess of the luau, with a guy I had crush on (yes, I had crushes in kindergarten), because I was shorter than the other girl who finally got to be the princess.

The '70s and '80s also seemed to have many TV shows and films based in Hawaii: Hawaii 5-0 (who can forget the show's theme?), Fantasy Island (I actually am going to the island where they shot the waterfall as a beginning scene), Magnum PI, and this is a '90s concession, Jurassic Park.

For those who're wondering why I'm going...well, being the filial daughter-in-law that I am..I'll be seeing my in-laws there for half of the week (we're visiting SK's uncle who lives a block from Waikiki Beach) but there's the requisite SK-and-me time, where we'll be taking off on our own to Kauai.

I can't wait to savor the fresh tropical fruits and balmy beaches! I just bought a new digital camera and can't wait to take tons of fantastic pictures!

1 comment:

Laura E. said...

Wow! Have a great time. I will be watching for an update on your trip, and for some of your wonderful photographs. :)